8 Other Ways to Say “I Have a Degree In”

So, you want to let someone know you have a degree in something. Well, “I have a degree in” is a good start, but is it the only choice?

This article will explore the best synonyms for “I have a degree in.” We’ll help you understand a few better ways to say it in your writing.

Other Ways to Say “I Have a Degree In”

  • I studied (degree)
  • My (type) degree
  • I have a (type) degree
  • With my degree
  • My degree allows me
  • I finished my degree
  • I completed my degree
  • Have a degree


  • “I have a degree in” works well, though it’s a bit wordy and unnecessary in most cases.
  • “I have studied (degree)” works well in most professional instances.
  • You can say “my (type) degree” informally, where “type” replaces the degree you have.

Keep reading to learn more about the synonyms for “I have a degree in.” There are some great options, and it’s worth learning more about them. So, we’ve touched on the most useful two.

Also, the final section explains whether “I have a degree in” is correct. Therefore, if you’re looking for an answer to that, you know where to go.

I Studied (Degree) (Formal)

“I studied (degree)” is a great way to be specific. It’s a useful formal alternative because it shows you spent time learning and studying something specific (i.e., “I studied computer science”).

You might want to use this phrase when talking to a potential employer. It shows you have a degree that will come in handy at work, which many employers will look at positively.

Also, it’s interchangeable with “I have a degree in” in most cases. Therefore, you can use “I studied (degree)” and “I have a degree in” similarly to mix things up and keep your writing interesting.

Here are a few examples to help you:

Since I studied mathematics at university, I have been a key employee here. I doubt they’ll want to lose me.

I studied psychology, so I know a thing or two about this. What do you say to that?

My (Type) Degree (Informal)

“My (type) degree” is a great informal synonym. You should use it when you want to specify your degree in a friendly and polite way. It is not overly wordy, making it the perfect choice in conversational situations.

Generally, you will use this phrase when speaking with colleagues. It shows you have a specific degree that might help you to solve a problem or complete a task.

Be careful, though. If your colleagues don’t have a degree themselves, they might see it as an arrogant statement. You should only talk about it when you know it’s going to help you, and you won’t offend someone.

You can use “my (type) degree” in some formal instances as well. For instance, it works well in a resume. So, you can switch between it and “I have a degree in” to mix things up.

These examples should help you out:

Well, my mathematics degree should come in handy here. I’ll let you know when I’ve got the right answer.

My sports science degree is working wonders for me! I’ve got a career related to it, and that’s all I can ask!

Is It Correct to Say “I Have a Degree In”?

“I have a degree in” is correct when talking about what you’ve studied. However, it’s quite wordy, and there are plenty of better alternatives available.

Sometimes, people will say “hold” instead of “have.” Both are suitable, but “hold” is a bit pretentious. Most will avoid using it because it sounds jarring and arrogant.

  • I hold a degree in
  • I have a degree in

You can be more specific by using the following variations:

  • I have a bachelor’s degree in
  • I have a master’s degree in

Including “bachelor’s” or “master’s” simply shows someone you have a specific type of degree. You don’t need to include it, but it might be worth doing so based on the reason you’re talking about it.

Bookmark this page to remind yourself of the best synonyms. Then, you’ll have loads of options to mix up how to say “I have a degree in.”